Current:Home > ContactNew civil complaints filed against the Army amid doctor's sexual assault case -Capitatum
New civil complaints filed against the Army amid doctor's sexual assault case
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 15:55:53
Four accusers of a military doctor at the center of a massive sexual abuse prosecution say they were "severely and irreparably harmed" by the Army and the Defense Department whose negligence failed to protect them from abuse, according to new federal civil complaints filed Tuesday.
The physician, Maj. Michael Stockin, is facing charges from Army prosecutors who allege the misconduct occurred under the guise of treatment, based on accusations from 41 male patients. The charges include 47 counts of abusive sexual contact and five counts of indecent viewing under the military code of justice, according to the Army Office of Special Trial Counsel, which is prosecuting the case.
CBS News has spoken with five accusers who each described a similar pattern. During appointments at the center's pain management clinic, Stockin, when left alone with patients, would instruct them to undress, and proceed to examine their lower body and touch them inappropriately, according to the alleged victims.
While the criminal case plays out, the Army is also contending with civil complaints like these brought by accusers who filed under the Federal Torts Claims Act, which allows individuals to bring claims against federal agencies for wrongs allegedly committed by personnel of that agency. The four new claims, reviewed by CBS News, are the first step toward filing a lawsuit for monetary damages.
"A sexual abuse scandal of this magnitude could only happen if the Army was negligent," said an attorney representing the accusers, Christine Dunn, in a statement.
Dunn represents eleven former patients, including the four who filed Tuesday, who are seeking $5 million in damages for what they say was the Army's negligence in "hiring, supervising, and retaining Dr. Stockin, and negligently failing to institute adequate policies and procedures to reasonably ensure [their] safety."
Seven other complaints she previously filed with her colleagues at the law firm Sanford Heisler Sharp are now under investigation by the Army, according to Dunn.
In each of the four new complaints, the former patients, two of whom are still active duty service members, say they are "traumatized" by their experience with Stockin.
"The examination felt wrong to me, and I felt violated and embarrassed. It did not seem to me that Dr. Stockin had a valid medical reason for touching my penis," one of the unidentified former patients claimed.
Only one of the four former patients has had their accusations included in the Army's criminal case according to Dunn, illuminating advocates' concern that there may be more potential victims out there.
"The massive number of patients who allege they were sexually abused by Dr. Stockin is shocking," Dunn said. "I continue to get calls from victims with remarkably similar stories about how they were sexually violated by Dr. Stockin."
In another complaint reviewed by CBS News, a former patient who was seeking treatment for back pain claimed Stockin abused him about a half a dozen times.
"This experience has caused me pain and suffering," he added. "I feel like less of a man. I have overwhelming feelings of fear and shame. I no longer feel comfortable with male doctors. I question my sexuality as a man."
Another former patient who sought treatment for back pain and migraines alleges he was abused by Stockin on two occasions and told several people about what happened, including a nurse's aide, his sergeant major, and other medical professionals, according to the claim. However, no formal complaints were ever filed, according to Dunn.
Stockin, an anesthesiologist working at the pain management clinic at Madigan Army Medical Center on Joint Base Lewis-McChord, in Washington state, has been suspended from patient care since the Army began investigating the alleged conduct.
Under current law, servicemembers injured while on active duty are unable to sue the military. However, a 2022 ruling in the 9th Circuit opened the door for survivors after the court found that sexual assault was not "incident to military service."
The Army has six months to review the claims. Dunn has not heard back on the seven other claims she has previously filed on behalf of Stockin's accusers. An Army spokesperson declined to comment.
Stockin has not yet entered a plea in his criminal case but has previously maintained his innocence through his attorneys. While his lawyer did not immediately return request for comment, Robert Capovilla, an attorney for Stockin, has previously urged the public to withhold judgment until the case is heard, saying, "We intend to fight against every single allegation until the jury renders their verdict."
After Stockin's first appearance in court last month, prosecutors said that they dropped a count of abusive sexual contact "after ongoing review of the evidence."
Dunn added, "My clients hope that Dr. Stockin is held accountable in the criminal proceedings. But it is equally important that the Army be held accountable for allowing this harm to occur and to ensure that this never happens again."
- In:
- United States Military
veryGood! (46111)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- A 'dream' come true: Now there are 2 vaccines to slash the frightful toll of malaria
- Charity Lawson Reacts After DWTS Partner Artem Chigvintsev Tests Positive for COVID
- Tropical Storm Philippe soaks northeast Caribbean on a path toward Bermuda, New England and Canada
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Suspect in police beating has ruptured kidney, headaches; his attorneys call for a federal probe
- Turns out lots and lots of animals embrace same-sex relationships. Why will surprise you
- Padres third baseman Manny Machado has right elbow surgery
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Defense attorney claims 'wrong man' on trial in 2022 slayings of New Hampshire couple
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- A Florida gator lost her complete upper jaw and likely would've died. Now, she's thriving with the name Jawlene
- Jury selection resumes at fraud trial for FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried
- Tracking the challenges facing Ukrainian grain, all the way from farm to table
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Grizzly bear kills couple and their dog at Banff National Park in Canada
- Sia reveals she's had an 'amazing face lift' after years of covering her face
- Haitian students play drums and strum guitars to escape hunger and gang violence
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
TikTok Shop Indonesia stops to comply with the country’s ban of e-commerce on social media platforms
‘Tiger King’ animal trainer ‘Doc’ Antle gets suspended sentence for wildlife trafficking in Virginia
Things to know about the resignation of a Kansas police chief who led a raid on a small newspaper
'Most Whopper
‘Miracle’ water year in California: Rain, snow put state’s reservoirs at 128% of historical average
Who voted to oust McCarthy as speaker? See the final tally of the House roll call
Federal appeals court expands limits on Biden administration in First Amendment case